View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
It is cool and it is intriguing and I hope it works but geez that low baseline number is like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

I know unsubstantiated reports are next to worthless but these Mustang owners report about what my Falcon/Mustang owner friends do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy online
I had a 1965 200 cid 6 cylinder - automatic

Not rebuilt many miles on the engine - usure of how many rollovers at least one.

I would get 17 mpg city, 24-28 mpg highway
FWIW: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7110759AAojJOX

I can't tell if post 1 is from real data or projected results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang hybrid guy
If our example vehicle travels 65 miles at 65 mph, approximately 20 hp per hour or 14.9 kWh are required. The 5 kWh battery pack is rated to deliver 5 kW for 1 hour. If all the energy is used evenly during the hour, then 5 kWh will be delivered by the batteries and the remaining 9.9 kWh must come from the internal combustion engine (ICE) and the gas it uses. The fuel savings (or increase in mpg’s) is approximately (5/14.9 x 100%) 34%. In order to account for energy lost to heat, couplers, drivetrain etc., an electric drive system efficiency of 70% for the home built vehicle is likely appropriate. So a true mpg increase is likely closer to (34 x 70% eff.) 24%. Not too bad for a system that might also add 10 – 50 hp when charging more frequently!
Ahhh, but the above is all conjecture at this point. Shades of Zoltan a little bit... No performance data has been collected. Perhaps it has not ever been activated yet at all. One thing the above projection omits is how much less efficient the ICE gets at lower and lower percentage loading i.e. all the same arguments we went through re: Electrocharger. Toss in the inefficiency of using the ICE to charge batteries instead of roll it all down the road as well (also discussed here at EM). Also wondering if that 5 kwh is for what DOD?

Brucey might be the guy who can shed the most light on this sort of thing, as it sounds strikingly similar...

Last edited by Frank Lee; 12-18-2011 at 08:08 PM..