View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
ncwa
www.howtobuildahybrid.com

Thanks for the comments – good and questionable! I don’t mind Frank’s questions at all as there is a lot to consider. Questions/concerns help me think through all the design challenges!

To clarify to a couple of items:

1)This is real and it does run! (There is poor quality youtube video out there where you can hear the electric motor under the tuned exhaust.) The web site example is not directly for this build.

2)Frank quoted a city mpg of 17 for another Mustang. That is the same baseline number I gave. My numbers are, for the most part city but some highway. I should have qualified that this was mostly city driving. Here is another number I didn’t post: After multiple charges and running around the city with many wide open throttle stop light starts (it is hard to hold back the extra torque!) my city mpg’s were 22.

3)The batteries are charged at idle and during engine braking, but most importantly, the batteries are charged by plugging in the car – it is a plug in hybrid.

4)The original Ford 200 engines were not the most efficient engines and mine likely hasn’t been rebuilt correctly in a very very long time. A rebuilt 200, with some of the performance modifications that make it more efficient, can achieve up to 28 mpg’s. I am just not there yet.

If I can get to 30, I’ll be very excited. But for now I will take my 20’s!
The Following User Says Thank You to ncwa For This Useful Post:
Kimonoskunk (10-21-2017)