View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Thinking of converting my Volvo

I have yet to do a conversion. I keep psyching myself up to do a high-end conversion (AC/lithium) on my wife's Toyota Matrix but I have a massive fear of project failure.

I bought a $400 winter beater a couple of months ago, a 1984 Volvo 244. All it does is get me to work and back. But I got thinking: why not do an ultra cheap conversion on this thing first? I know it is the worst possible donor car ever, but unfortunately (or fortunately?) I have sort of fallen in love with the car already. It is the worst beater I have ever owned. It is ugly. It always has me on edge because of imminent breakdown. But it's like the Top Gear Botswana Special where Richard Hammond falls in love with his Opel Kadett: I have sort of done the same. It's so uncool that it goes full circle and has become very cool.

Details: 3050 lbs curb weight. Aerodynamic as a barn. 3-speed auto with no lockup, so inefficient. I will probably try to find a used 6.7" motor. Possibly buy a new D&D ES-15-6. Maybe a Kelly 400A or 500A controller. I have access to a nearly unlimited supply of battery cores, many of which are still okay. I'm thinking 6 group 34 batteries for 72V. As my batteries croak I can continuously replace them. And 6-12V chargers.

I will need speeds of 35-40 mph on the flat and a range of 8 miles. My commute is exactly 4 miles. Slightly down hill on the way to work and uphill towards home. I will charge at work just to make sure.

Will this work?