View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Go with a larger motor and don't use a Kelly controller, my 1,400 pound electric car has a 6.7" motor and goes 35mph on 48v and I could not imagine that motor moving twice as much weight around even at a higher voltage and at 48v I have a 650 amp Altrax Controller and I'm glad that I didn't go with a lighter duty controller as I've seen it hit 600+ amps a few times.
The more I read about Kelly controllers the more I am surprised that no one is dead and that they are still around, read up on them a bit and you will find people who have them fail, the only one that I have seen in person burned up causing the motor to power up, over spin and caused around $2,000 in damage to the motor, drained the set of batteries all the way down and ended up ruining them and the controller it's self had a hole burned in the side of it and of course non of this is the fault of the controller so to have anything done you would have to take them to court.

Do you know what your gear ratio is on the rear end? can you get away with a direct drive and use an electric forklift motor?