View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Thanks for the advice. I did not realize that Kelly controllers were so shoddy. Their price is what lured me in. I know Altrax is a good product. I am hoping to find used parts for this venture.

My axle ratio is 3.54:1, according to what I can find on the internet. But I should probably check it by jacking it up and counting revolutions just to be sure.

I was thinking of keeping the transmission & torque convertor for their torque multiplication from a stop. I figured this would allow me to use the smaller motor. When do you hit 600 amps, are you starting off? If so, I assume that a transmission/torque converter would make it easier (less ampy) on startup. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have thought about going direct drive, but when it comes to finding a forklift motor, I have absolutely no idea where to even start looking. For direct drive, I assume that a 11" or larger motor is necessary, especially considering the weight of this car. In brand new motor terms, that's really expensive. In forklift motor terms? I have no idea. Do I go to a forklift repair shop and start to ask questions? I should search for a forklift salvage business.

I see an advantage to converting a rear wheel drive car (even more so if you go direct drive) is under-hood real estate. If you can jam the motor into the tunnel where the transmission used to go, you are left with a lot of room for 'stuff', whatever you want that to be. You can use the bonnet as boot space if you have stolen boot space for batteries.