View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
busypaws
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
drmiller hit it on the head. I disconnected the connector with the 4 wires. I then made 4 jumper wires that reconnected the two connectors with 6 inch jumper wires with male/female spade connectors. Then I proceeded to turn on all the lights and accesories so there was a load on the alternator. I then disconnected the jumper wires one or more at a time to see what the alternator did. Output 14 volts or not. When I got the two connections that did what I wanted I then made a permenant connector and switch on the dash board that allowed me to open those two connections to turn "off" the alternator and "close" the connection to turn back on when needed.
Since you don't cut the two factory connectors off you can always diconnect your system and reconnect the alternator like factory if you ever sell it or take it to the dealership for service (or give your wife the car for a week or more).
You have to train yourself to keep track of the battery voltage -- you never want to turn off the engine without looking at the voltage guage to make sure it will restart.