View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
It took about 2 hours of work to repair the damage to the car, other then replacing the headlight assembly whenever it arrives in the mail, so the deer encounter has only set me back about $40. The very similar collision I had 9 years ago required replacing the right front fender, right headlight and turn signal assemblies, and straightening out some distortion to the frame where the flat front of the bumper had adsorbed the collision energies from the deer. It cost about $600 to fix. So aeromodding my car is saving me more than just gas money and the lives of all of those birds and bugs that didn't go splat on the front of my car. Its making deer collisions much safer for both me and the deer.

Why would a deer be afraid of an ultrasonic noise coming from a vehicle any more then they would of the sound of the motor from a vehicle? I don't know how well those wind powered deer whistles work. A guy at work who used to work at a body shop says that he saw quite a few whistle equipped vehicles come in with deer collision damage. Another guy at work said that the only thing that works to keep deer away from vehicles is if people in the area have a habit of hunting deer from their trucks, so deer learn to associate motor vehicles with hunting. They then depart the scene whenever they hear a vehicle come near.