View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
3dplane
EcoModding Apprentice

14 Mirage - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 68.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
barna, I would really not recommend intrupting the big wire. bad idea.

A better way is to hook a light up to the field, then to ground. That way the field can gently ground through the light killing the field magnetics.

when you put power to the field, it will still energize the field, and turn the light on. LED's are not suitable for the light - it must be an old fashioned incandescent.
I like your grounding through a resistor(bulb) idea to bleed off field power! Especially if it works too! You probably have played with this more than I did!

What is so bad about cutting output current? Besides the obvious sudden current rush and possibly arcing across the solenoid contacts?
I believe the alternator would turn relatively free with output disconnected but I don't know how much dragging effect would be inside the alt. from eddies as the magnetised core (rotor) is spinning in the stator! ( try moving a large neodymium magnet along a hunk of aluminium or copper!amazing amount of drag!)I Have not tried messing with that yet on an alt.

I was also thinking of just limiting alt.output current by simply elongating the output wire by using maybe one of those cheap jumper cables (both wires in series) to add significant resistance between the alt.and batt. Yes there would be some waste heat but less output and less drag on the alternator! Have not tested this neither yet!Just throwing around ideas.
Barna