View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethedethius View Post
Dave, I took two looks at your truck and I applaud your work, it is beautiful, is that card board with some wrap on it? That grill block is absolutely seamless like I want! However wouldn't it make more sense to place it on the outside of the grill? As for a block heater I can't do, I live in apartments .

Again, BEAUTIFUL construction.
Thanks! The material is called Thermo-ply. It's kind of a cross between cardboard and particle board. It's about 1/4" thick. It's used for sheeting houses. I'm not sure as I could have picked this material as "ideal", but there was a bunch of it that was thrown out at the construction site next door. Sheet metal or coroplast would probably be better but the Thermo-ply was free (and I'm cheap ). I just primed it and spray painted it black. I'm hoping that keeps it from adsorbing moisture (so far it looks like it has).

Aerodynamically, it would be slightly better to put it on the outside of the grill. I put it on the inside for looks. I also did it to improve warm up times as well as aero.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html