View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #37 (permalink)
Ken Fry
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
ok.
60x24 for the nose = 1440
20x33 for the cockpit above the nose = 660. minus probably 60 because the top corners are rounded.

call it 2000 square inches - / 144 - = 13.8 square feet.

can I make it as clean as a Prius or Insight? I sure hope so.
If you have 38" headroom, and 5" ground clearance, and a 4" thick seat, you'd have 47" height with the seatback vertical. A Corvette is 48" which may be a reasonable minimum for being seen, especially with the narrow cabin. The Lamborghini Countach was only 42," as is the T-rex. I've towed the Zing! POC, and see just a tiny bit of the roof out the back window of my Accord. The POC is 44", and the production version is 49."

It sounds like you are saying that the top of the fender is 24" off the ground. A 24" diameter is a smallish tire. You will probably want several inches for suspension travel.

There is no standard for how a manufacture must measure frontal area. I prefer to use the actual dimensions from a cad drawing, including wheels, etc. In your case that would reduce the area a little, because we wouldn't be measuring the air under the car. We'd have to count the projection of the rear wheel.

Your 13.8 figure is probably pretty good, if you're OK with the height.