Thread: drafting semi's
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
A big truck has significant blind spots, all around it. I've had trucks with as many as 13-mirrors, most with 8-mirrors to try and keep up with all that is around me. As what is behind me is at least as important as what is ahead of me in uncountable situations, knowing where all the other vehicles are is critical.

Truck tailgaters are assholes, pure and simple. Guys whose concerns are to be ignored even though we all share the road, little different than the false thank you to a veteran . . . geez, glad it ain't me hump'n it. Truck driving is a high fatality livelihood. No cop will ever see the combination of shortened lifespan and on-the-job fatality rate as do truck drivers (or, farmers, fishermen, etc) and he has a defined benefits pension after 20-years plus union protection throughout his career. So where is the truck driver memorial? The drivers retired at age 52? Few and far between. Almost non-existent. One of these is productive, the other sucks up tax money. Which do you pay more attention to while next to them in traffic?

Some tailgater suddenly comes out of the shadow into an adjacent lane as you're starting to change into that lane because of what is ahead, etc, well, guess who'll be held to a higher standard if there is a wreck? Guess who may be fired, or forced back into a backbreaking low-paid truck job, or lose all the years of a career as a result of an asshole. We're all humans and make mistakes, but taking advantage of another man in order to save some pennies is past unconscionable.

Stay back far enough that the tractor mirrors on both sides are always visible.

One can get the distance correct and the other traffic will flow around if the man following the big truck uses headlights/tail-lamps constantly. A little brake-light action can get the next pack of cretins the idea that staying left is beneficial. Not doing any lane-changing with the big truck breaking trail is worth more than getting in closer.

When you find that geosynchronous orbit back there, and know how to define it for others to get them around both vehicles then you have a good relationship going. Keep the distance perfectly constant if you want the Merit Badge.

Also:

Always pass a big truck with at least 5-mph speed differential. Get off the cruise and get on it. You want a noticeable amount of "positive throttle" to overcome the big truck bow wave. Change back into that lane about a football field ahead (no joke, you've no idea who's driving that truck, what shape it's in, or how heavy it is). This is not quite hyperbole. Smoothness will come with experience, and FE won't suffer noticeably.

Never, ever ever get stuck next to a big truck while behind another vehicle. Wait till the other vehicle is fully past the big truck (with room to move back over) before making your dash. Wait your turn, but jump on it to keep the one behind you from staying close to you as you pass. In the wait, cut off the other a-holes from moving from behind the truck to between you and the truck you as you wait for the first guy to get past. Defend that territory until you launch.

Stay out of packs, and you won't have the problem. Slow down a half-mile back to have them get around the big truck and you'll not have to do any more than maintain the necessary minimum speed differential while passing. You can learn to take advantage of terrain and actually be slowing as you pass the big truck to hit your intended mark ahead of him to get back to the right lane. If you can do it towing fairly heavy, the beer is on me.

Remember that if something goes wrong with that big truck when you're next to it then the Jaws of Life are a handy tool to help get the trailer unstuck so it can be turned upright and shoved out of the way. Their intended use is irrelevant over 4,000-times per year

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
FXSTi (12-24-2011), JasonG (12-25-2011)