View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 02:52 AM   #53 (permalink)
drmiller100
Master EcoModder

Merry Christmas!

I have mocked up the main cockpit. I have the frame laid out. I have seats positioned. I have steering wheel mocked up, in place, in the car.
I have got the doors figured out.

I have front suspension figured out - looks a WHOLE lot like a 93 honda civic.

I have front nose figured out, and the fiberglass guy is starting to think about it. I have front windshield proto typed, but it will actually be about the last thing in the whole car to be completed.

I have rear window solution figured out, but not mocked up yet. again, a pretty last thing.

I have the basic layout for the body figured out. It is really simple, but it follows the fundamentals of aero. if I do it right, people in the industry will look at it and say "wow - that certainly is simple......" and people who know aero will look at it and say "wow. that probably works pretty well - no huge advances, but fundamentally sound."

some things I will do over and over. I have already redone the front frame rails which the engine hangs from 3 times, and have at least once more. Things are tight up there between upper control arm and engine mount.

Life is good.

Ken, when all done, you have MANY hours in designing your car on the computer, and if you do a good job there are no surprises as you physically build it. And, for you, lack of surprises is a good thing.

For me, I am a different critter. My workmanship will not be as good as yours probably. My design will not be radical. I will use the entire drivetrain out of an existing car, including the front suspension.

In some ways your car will be better, in some ways my car will be better.

My car will be much simpler then yours. My 2 seater will probably be done before your's. You pushing me will help me complete a car or two, and perhaps me pushing on you will help you make a better product.

My dream is a car which goes down the road at 75mph and you can comfortably drive it that way across the country all seasons. My mpg will be less then yours, but my car will be less then half the price of yours.

'tis all good, and Merry Chrismas.