View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
danwat1234
EcoModding Lurker

New Civics to have Direct Injection + Atkinson valve behavior, 45mpg?

Src, google:"Honda Previews New Engine Lineup: Direct Injection and CVTs Coming"

Looks like new cars from Honda are finally going to have Direct Injected engines, and these OTTO cycle engines can also function as Atkinson cycle engines when demand is low (compression stroke is shorter than power stroke) for even more fuel savings. They give an estimated 10% fuel savings, so maybe 45MPG highway for the regular Civic?
The primary mode for the engine is OTTO, then secondary is Atkinson.
I like. Now we just have to wait for homogeneous stratified charge OTTO cycle engines..no spark plugs during low demand so it functions like a diesel .. 14:1 compression or so. Beyond this, there isn't anything else you can do to an OTTO cycle to make it more efficient (from what I've researched).
Diesel fuel powered Atkinson engines are one idea, or higher compression with OTTO cycle maybe.

The new Civic will have 148HP instead of the now 140HP. I think the engine will start with the 2013 cars.

If they put the new 1.8L in the Civic, then they could very well get better than the 42MPGhwy that the Chevy Cruze gets, making the Civic the most efficient non-hybrid non-diesel compact car out there. If it can get 44MPGhwy, then it'll best the 43MPGhwy VW TDI.

The current Civic with the aerodynamic mods is rated at 41MPGhwy and so I think it's entirely possible to get to 44MPGhwy or higher with that model with the new engine, and at least meeting the Chevy Cruze with the non-eco Civics (from 39MPGhwy to 42MPGhwy).

The Following User Says Thank You to danwat1234 For This Useful Post:
SoobieOut (12-25-2011)