View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
ncwa
www.howtobuildahybrid.com

Hi Everyone – thank you all for the great stories regarding your older Mustangs and cars! I have enjoyed reading them.

So I drove over to my local Classic Ford shop and I asked about proper tuning and other methods of achieving higher mpg’s. After they spent a fair amount of time, enjoying the hybrid installation, one of the gentlemen asked if I bypassed the pink wire. I’ve read about this pink “resistor” wire but I have never messed with.

So the next day, I went ahead and bypassed the pink resistor wire, raising the voltage to the coil from 8.5 to 11.8V (I must still be missing something because I don’t have the full 12.5V as measured from the battery). The mustang seemed to have more torque between 2500 and 4000 rpm and no longer has as much of a lagging feeling at the higher rpm’s.

So today I went out for a short (20 mile) highway drive at ~60 mph. Using the same pump, with the car in the same filling position, I recorded freeway mileage of 34.7mpg’s! I am sure there is error in such a short trip, but it is encouraging nonetheless!

Now I wonder what will happen to my city mpg’s of 22 (with aggressive driving)….

Oh yeah – I now have no idea what my base is without the electric motor so I guess my percentage increase is null and void.

Happy driving!