View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
3dplane
EcoModding Apprentice

14 Mirage - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 68.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
I have used white glue to make a barrier before with good success. You might want to try the resin over some scrap pieces that have been coated with glue or paint first, just to be sure you like the result. Awesome job on sculpting the foam. Making the other side to be a perfect match might be harder than the first set though. I'm no expert, but from what I've read here, air flows off of sharp edges better than rounded ones. You may want to square off the ends of your rear mold or give it a sharp edged reveal at the back like the new Prius. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result and hearing how they function. I'd like to do something similar on my car someday.
At the time when the photos were taken,I already had the other side done. Before I started on it,I was thinking that it will take a fraction of the time making it as it did to make the first one due to the fact that I can just kinda copy the mirror image of the piece in front of me,faster rough cuts etc. However I ended up fiddling with it about as long as the first piece took to make!
Funny that you mention the sharp rear edge! You can't tell from the pics but it does protrude a little past the rear curvature of the bumper (about less than an inch) and the inside has a sharp flat surface filling the gap back to the rear of the bumper. Little batman wings. I doubt it has any significance because it is really behind the bumper at that point but that's how I made them anyhow.

It will take some time for me to complete them due to my job interfering with my tinkering (fortunately I might add) but I will post progress here! Thanks!
Barna