Thread: I own a 350z
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
johnunit
EcoModding Lurker

I don't know about the costs in your area and insurance group, but for me I'd have to drive something like 50,000km a year for having two cars on the road at the same time to pay off on the strength of cheaper costs per mile for the fuel miser. That's with a car that doesn't do nearly as well on fuel as your 350Z (big old carbed V8 boat).

For preservation of the "enthusiast" car, I've bought a second car (used prius bought for a steal) that I drive only in the winter, while the big boat is off the road. Even in the summer though, I've developed the somewhat odd driving style of "earning myself" spurts of aggressive/sporting driving with bouts of hypermiling. I've seen 24+mpg tanks on the highway, EPA rating (back in the 80s, not the more realistic modern testing) of 17mpg. If I had to choose between just the boat or just the fuel miser, the Prius will get the for sale sign.

What I'm trying to say is I totally understand and sympathize with the desire to have one car put a grin on your face AND get great gas mileage (relatively speaking). It's easy to say "have two (three in your case) cars" when you're not the one paying for insurance, licensing, maintanence, second parking space (in the case of urban living), etc.

Good luck with your quest for more fuel efficiency!