View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
JoJotheTireMan
EcoModding Lurker

Gearing Summary

Go here for the gearing specs of just about every VW tranny out there:
http://www.techtonicstuning.com/trannyratios.asp

Summary:
I have a 3.67 R&P now.
There are a few with 3.65 R&P, not worth the effort or cost involved for such a small drop, not to mention the vehicle speed sensor issue if you switch R&P ratios.
The VW motorsport 3.32 R&P would be nice, but good luck finding one of those, never mind the $$$$, and VSS issue.

As far as 5th gears go, the .71:1 is the lowest I can find for my 020, and I had to have it machined to even fit the retaining mechanism that my trans uses.
Even the 1.9L TDI uses the same R&P (3.67) with a .75:1 5th gear. I will be geared slightly taller than that in 5th.

I would love to combine that with the TDI 4th gear also as mine has a .97:1 4th where the TDI has a .91:1 4th.

Now, a 5th gear swap can be done in the car without removing the trans, but a 4th gear swap would be a whole lot more work, and not worth it as I spend most of my miles in 5th at highway speeds anyways.

I did the math, and if I average a 500RPM reduction in 5th gear at the same vehicle speeds, then I will spin my motor a quarter of a million times less per week! That just has to save some gas, no?

I fear if I go any taller in gearing without adding more HP/TQ, then I will be forced to downshift to 4th more often which will negate any 5th gear swap gains.

The bang for the buck factor really is why I am doing it this way. $100 and a few hours, hopefully this weekend, and I'm done with gearing. Any other option to go taller or mess with anything but 5th gear will require trans removal, tear down, and rebuild. There goes any potential fuel savings dollars as I would have to recoup the original cost of the rebuild, never mind the extra labor and down time.

I know anything is possible, some things just are not practical. Like the cost to import a euro 6 speed, although I would love a 6 speed, but that is not going to happen unless someone wants to mail me one for free, which I doubt will happen either.

Can anyone see any gearing options that I may be missing? I am not sure of compatibility between different types of trannies either, I am just comparing 020s.

I mean I could just go buy a prius, right? How long will it take me to save 20Gs on fuel? I doubt the prius would last that long, seeing I have 2 good A3 Jettas, and 1 for parts, and I paid 1G for all of them combined. Yes, I would spend less for gas per week with a prius, but I have no car payments and never will, worth more to me than the potential to save a whole gallon or two max per week.

Fuel costs are still only 20-30% of the total cost to own/operate a newish vehicle these days.

I try to look more at dollars per mile than miles per gallon.
I bought my current beater for $400, have about a grand into it total with repairs and what not. I have averaged 30+ mpg for just over 20K miles in 1 year. So, 20K miles for a grand, and I'm getting 30+mpg, how can I beat that?
Total cost of ownership/use is what our cars really cost us, not just what we pay at the pumps.

Now, that being said, not everyone wants an oldish beater with all the problems they typically come with, but I am lucky as I do all my own repairs/maintenance, so that keeps the costs down significantly. When most people think a car is worth next to nothing anymore due to age/mileage, that is when I will snag them on the super cheap and run them utill they are really done.

My wifes subaru has given us 70K+ miles for a total cost of maybe $1200 plus fuel. 200K+ on the clock now and she still runs great. We got it for next to nothing as it had a blown HG, their loss is my gain I guess.

I just don't see the point in buying a 20K+ car when I can get a $500 beater to get me to the same point a and b as the new car will. Don't need extra insurance as the car costs as much as the deductible anyways, crash it, recycle it, repeat. Cheaper excise taxes, cheaper parts, etc, etc, etc. If I didn't fix them myself, then maybe I would see things differently.