View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
JoJotheTireMan
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubie View Post
Being a huge VW nut I have to agree, destroking it would likely be a much cheaper option.

My great idea is to get a 1.8 crank in my 2.0 (thus lowering compression ratio and decreasing to a 1.9L), give it the mildest turbocharger (A turbocharger accomplishes what you were thinking of in the original post, except all of the cylinders are going to be pumping for you), and then put it into a VW Scirocco 2 (lowest drag, ~1800Lbs, dirt cheap when thrashed) with 175mm wide tires (or narrower, if available). Possibly adding a Diesel transmission to the setup.

That rig was really a hot-rod Idea from me, the lower compression is just to add turbo boost, and the de-stroking would just result in a better revving engine.

Better to get a 1.7L motor and just use that with Diesel trans, they have 3.4 final drive (IIRC, not 3.89/3.94 like all the rest), if you want to be insane, the TDI 6-speed trans from a euro model is said to make for insanely low revs (~1500 @ 65), for a 4-cyl. But the cost: xxx-x,xxx

Check out a "truck cam" grind http://www.techtonicstuning.com/show...artnum=109.07K (only for solid lifter motors?), this is said to deliver all the power from idle to 4,000. Pair that with a 1.7-1.8 motor and the Diesel trans and you would see a big deal.

Maybe a 1.6 crank is available for an ABA from a european car? You might need the pistons and rods though.

(I put a 2.0L 3A engine from an Audi 80 into my Rabbit Gti, it would roast the tires into 3rd gear, and still get 25mpg, while blowing the doors off of v8's )

I would investigate a torque tuned exhaust, a little smaller to get more torque.
Much cheaper way to lower the CR on one of these VW motors is just to get a thicker HG, can make a drop of 10:1 down to 9:1 which would be more ideal for a boosted motor.

I can't see adding a turbo to even a smaller 1.8L saving any fuel compared to the 2.0L NA. That is why I was looking at supercharging (more low end HP/TQ gain than a turbo) a 1L as my alternative to save some fuel by displacement reduction. Never mind adding any kind of forced induction to an already decent powered 4 banger is just going to increase fuel usage, well for me at least because the temptation of using that extra power will get the best of me from time to time.

I do still have an 81 rabbit hiding out in my barn with 77K original miles on her, I have a 1.7L, and a 1.8L CIS motors, I have a 3 speed auto and the GTI 5 speed also. So I do have the ingrediants for a very light economy hatch, just need to find more time for that project.

The A3s have much better creature comforts though, like say something simple like a cupholder. The old rabbits are pretty much just a tin can with wheels, and that is what it sounds like when you hit a bump in one too.

Exhaust, I agree and when I find an OBX tri-y header on the cheap then I will snag one, as the tri-y design is much better at building low end and mid range. I believe they were initailly designed for motorhomes and whatnot.

I think I am on the right road for improvements to my current 2.0L NA, the EPA rating is 21/29 and my last tank I got 38 mpg, and I still need to swap the 5th gear in :-)

My other idea was more of a long term thing, would not cost all that much as I have the spare parts to begin with. It was just something I had to get out of my head and see what others think about it. I also think about how to run the cam at the same pace as the crank so my pumps run as 2 strokes and so would the charged 2, but need to sit down and figure out if the cam could handle this job if designed right. I'm still into it for a custom cam, and some ECU tuning at most as the rest is just stuff in comparison.

Thanks for the input, any and all ideas are appreciated.

Anyone else have any other ideas for my ride, well other than driving habits and aero mods as I do my best with driving technique and aero mods will be phase 2 of my plans.

Thanks again....JoJo