Thread: New tires!
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
New tires!

It was time for new tires. LRR was a given, but I wanted to do more and go oversize. I've been too busy lately to do real research on LRR, so I bowed to the dark gods of marketing and just went with Goodyear Assurance Fuel Maxes. Then I went over to the tire size calculator over at Miata.net. My car takes 215/45/17s, a size I've never been happy with. It's a pretty rare size and way too little sidewall for dealing with crappy roads. I spent a lot of time dithering between 215/50/17 and 215/55/17, the issue being that I had a stock radius of 12.3". The 50s would take me up to 12.7" and the 55s to 13.2". I figured I could fit another half inch of tire in there, but didn't know if I dared try for a whole inch. I went with the 50s and it turns out I guessed right- at full lock the inside edge of the tire still clears the wheel well. Barely.

Because of all the time I spend gliding the main benefit to me isn't the size, it's the LRR. I'm happy with it- my standard glides are going farther now. My last glide on the way home didn't work, though. I started my second to last glide earlier than usual and didn't have to goose it to get over the last little hill. I made it over the hill, but without enough speed to glide all the way to the stop sign. That's huge: I couldn't glide all the way to my stop because I was still on the previous glide. Viva La Low Résistance!

Where is the size benefit? The 45s got 819 revs per mile, the 50s get 792, and the 55s would have been 767. Now for every turn of the wheel I'm moving 3.4% farther than before (and dreaming of the 6.9% farther that I could have been going on the tires that wouldn't have fit). I'm not going to be measuring this in real time. I couldn't find anything on the net about flashing the ECM to change the tire size, and I called a Subaru dealer to ask and got told no. You can't take that as Truth because dealerships are just as half-assed as any other place, but it's not looking good. The difference is small enough that I'm not worried about getting stopped. Sure, if I've got the cruise at 70 then I'd get tagged for 73 but I've been careful about traffic cops for long enough that I think I can be careful about traffic cops for a little longer. Since I can't change the car's instrumentation I'm not going to change the UltraGauge either, I'm just going to use the 3.4% when I calculate from the pump. That'll be fun to do again- I haven't logged a full tank in quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%