View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder.

33.5 mpg is OK, but surely there's a bit of room for improvement
EPA numbers being what they are, you should be able to beat the highway spec in all around driving with mild hypermiling techniques.

Driving slower helps - driving faster only burns more fuel.
I've shaved 12 mph from my usual highway speed, yet over my regular 30-mile commute, it hardly changed the time or the average speed for the trip.
The catch is that once on the highway, I no longer slow down from my reduced normal speed, unless I absolutely have to
Day-to-day traffic variations have more effect than the 12mph reduced cruise speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx712517 View Post
Hi there. I drive a 2011 Honda Civic LX, five speed stick. It's a good car that usually returns 31 to 32 mpg in my mixed driving, but I've got the tinkering bug. For the moment I've installed a set of the more aerodynamic wheels from the Civic Hybrid, wrapped in some LRR tires.
Have you already increased the tyre pressure ?
You can safely go up to the sidewall max. pressure, even if Honda recommends lower pressures (for comfort).
The ride will get harder, but it should not get bouncy.

Quote:
And what about the Civic Hybrid's little rear spoiler? Is it just for looks or does it actually do something?
If it's just a small deck-lid spoiler, nothing obtrusive, shaped like the spoiler on the 2012 HF or hybrid, it'll be OK.

If the underside panels fit, they'd help as they do on the hybrid, but may not be cost-efficient depending on their price.
Plenty of people have made their own belly pan using coroplast (which is like plastic cardboard) from left-over election signs etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
EricRyan (01-24-2012)