View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Now would officially be the time to rename the thread or start a new one entitled:

"The Electric Brick Pre-Build (Parts Collection) Thread"

The collection has officially started. Yesterday I found 4 battery cores sitting on a bench at work. They had been replaced because they were "no good." The first thing I see it corroded terminals. I cleaned them up and charged each battery individually with a fairly dumb charger.

Once charged, I performed the aforementioned load test on each one. Being 700CCA batteries I loaded them with 350 A for 15 seconds. All batteries ended up sagging to 9.5-9.6V. Not bad for "no good" batteries, considering 9.6V is considered "good" in the automotive world.

Here is my charging & testing setup:

This batch is made up of "dual purpose" batteries. A cranking battery made to handle deep cycling as well. Probably akin to a Walmart marine battery.

Today I found three AGMs pulled out of a truck that I was able to revive. I know I know, never mix floodeds and AGMs. But if I charge them individually and monitor each battery's voltage while discharging them, I shouldn't matter, should it? We'll go with that for now!

On Tuesday I'm going to talk to a local forklift company about motors. Wish me luck!

P.S: can somebody direct me to instructions on how to embed photos in my posts? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I obviously figured it out.

Last edited by mechman600; 01-01-2012 at 03:30 AM..