Thread: Vacume guage
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencersGreenTurd View Post
Thanks for the advice... So my goal it to not bury the needle? But when is a good time to shift? To soon and there is too much load...not soon enough and there is too much rpm...?
The vac gauge always indicated rather poor results when accelerating.
Even on slow accelerations it'd quickly slip over to the bad side.
I tried to keep the needle out of the red end during acceleration - it went from dark green, light green, yellow, orange, red - and I definitely tried to keep it from hitting the bottom peg.

Try to find the point on the gas pedal where pressing it down further doesn't give extra acceleration, then back off and try to stay away a bit from that point.

Acceleration is always a loss, so try to avoid it as much as possible - unless you're going for Pulse & Glide.
The gain of not slowing down, is in not having to accelerate again.
When you have to, accelerate at lower rpm with a good bit of throttle and get it over with quickly - but not flat out or pedal to the metal.

Low(ish) rpm and rather high load puts the engine in it's most efficient operating area - best Brake (HP) Specific Fuel Consumption or BSFC - where it produces most HP for the fuel it gets.
That's most efficient at converting fuel to power - but it's not giving the best mileage !

At cruising speed, your engine is far from operating at its most efficient. Fortunately, it also needs to produce so little power to maintain speed that fuel consumption over distance becomes good.

Quote:
Also I have open up my exhaust... No cat and no muffler...is that too much?
Probably too loud too

That's a performance mod.
To be effective it needs to be matched on the air intake and fuel supply end as well ... effective at delivering power and power/gallon but not fuel economy.
Most of the time you don't need much power anyway.

Quote:
I can't tell because I've been doing to many mods to quick to tell what is better.
You should see your average improve considerably in short time though.
Finetuning parts of the driving can come later.