View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
User
EcoModding Lurker

Car - '00 Peugeot 406 HDi 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Even more eco-friendly: wait 'til it rains :-)
Ok, good to see this forum like many has tipped over to the inward and cliquey culture eschewing the entire purpose of it as most do I'll not bother coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXMonster View Post
Just use hot bath water after a bath. Its even got soap in it

And its free with no wasted water or energy.
I'm not convinced tepid water would have much chance of cutting through the accumulated grime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Collected rain water is totally free.
Interestingly it isnt always, depending on where you live the government may claim ownership of the rain falling on your property (like the minerals under it) and even go as far as charging you for reducing the storm water runoff they calculated in their modelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by User View Post
(and a chunk of electricity).
That bit is the killer, how much to boil a litre of water into steam ? Assuming the power came from a normal station (very probably as windmills as next to useless here) then you probably used more than 1 litre to turn the turbine.

It may be good as a deep clean though.
Most people wash with hot water to start with, so it cant be too far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I usually wash cars during a good rain. The baked on stuff is somewhat pre-softened up, I get all wet anyway so being out in the rain doesn't make much difference, and there are no hard water spots left when I'm done. I've never tried to measure it but I'm sure I use the hose much less too.
Thats commitment, it was a little uncomfortable with all the heat from the steam but I'd still prefer it over soaking in the rain. In the past I've always washed over a garden but I'd never found a good way to shift the sticky messes left by bugs, even using the windscreen wipers regularly on long trips doesnt seem to stop them building up and the bumper tends to to be solid with the stuff.