View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Photonfanatic
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the replies. Hmm in the article they say

"Much better tire wear results from maintaining proper pressure. Tires with lower pressure will wear off the outside of the tread faster from the deflection of the tire during cornering, and the tires will heat up more from increased road friction. This is one of the factors that caused the failure of a certain brand of tires on Ford Explorers some years ago. In 1999 the San Jose Police Department realized a significant cost savings by increasing the pressure in the training fleet to 50 psi. They soon followed up by increasing the pressure in the patrol fleet to 44 psi. For liability reasons, most agencies are reluctant to exceed the maximum pressure listed on the tire for actual patrol vehicles, but they reap the cost saving when going to 50 psi on training vehicles."

But they don't really go into why the tire wouldn't wear down the middle more. Or maybe I missed something. It makes sense that an overinflated tire would wear more down the middle and not quite as much down the sides.

Also, how much is safe? On my yaris its 44 PSI just like the crown vic in that article. But at one point they say 100 PSI is being used, at another they say gains were noticed at only a 10 PSI increase is enough. How do I know how high to go?