View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Photonfanatic
EcoModding Lurker

Never heard of this PV. Who are they? I might be interested in buying some panels from them later this year if all that's true. As for my source, I only have my own personal experience. Rather, the personal experience of my next door neighbor. He bought some panels, (don't know what brand) back in 2000. They lasted about 10 years before they stopped working. Lived next door to him all my life so I know when he put them up and when he took them down. When they quit working we got up there to see, and they had done... something, some kind of oxidization. So he called the company and found out they were out of warranty, he'd have to buy new ones. They said it was probably due to the elements and that they do finally wear out. Offered to sell him some new ones. He said that all in all, over the course of the ten years they probably saved him about $3000 after professional installation.

He paid somewhere in the area of $18k for 3000 watts worth of solar panels. Covered much of the roof of his house. That's what I was going off of, I had assumed that the technology hadn't improved much. It seems to improve oh so slow.