View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGrey View Post
With rare exception, specific gears grinding is a symptom of poor driving technique. ie: downshifting into said gear without double clutching for the last 50K miles. Synchros will take only so much abuse and no fluid is going to fix that.
Well, I guess the tracker/vitara is the rare exception, the problem is that the ratio change from first to second is big, 4000rpm in first equals about 2200 in second, and they didn't double synchro 2nd gear. It hasn't really changed since new and I guess I could've been an ass about it and got a new tranny(which would probably be the same) out of GM but I didn't. I do rev match my downshifts but never double clutch, that's what synchros are for. I'll try double clutching once in a while but I need to practice. Most of my driving is highway so normally I use 2nd gear maybe 10 times a commute and I don't take the tracker most of the time. If its the biggest problem I have with the gearbox I'll be happy with that!
I didn't have my scangauge when I had the GM fluid in there so unfortunately I can't post any before and after data. I suspect with my car unless I changed all the fluids to synth and back it would be undetectable. The loses at the rear dif and transfercase are much bigger I would think than the gear box, especially in 5th gear.

Ian