View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
duffremle
EcoModding Lurker

Having experienced some of that efficient mass transit first hand, (Tokyo), they can keep it. I used to commute by bicycle in order to avoid it. There's nothing like being packed so tight into a train that four other people are smashed up against you and paying through the nose to do it to make you appreciate the wide roads and cheap gas we have here.

Now, having said that, their mass transit was still much, much better than anything I have seen in the US. The train stations were clean and safe and the trains arrived exactly on time almost all the time. In the major urban areas, you didn't even bother with a schedule because the trains came every few minutes.

Here in the states, you could not pay me enough to make me ride mass transit. The buses and the bus stops here aren't particularly safe. The are extraordinarily slow and since I already need to own a car and keep it insured, it's not even cheaper for me. A dollar worth of gas moves me around 8 miles. I can't even get on a bus for that.