View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ladogaboy
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I too enjoy a rational debate. There are many opinions that I have changed over the years due in no small part to the information and debates from forums such as these. I'm actually quite happy when someone shows where I am wrong, or haven't properly considered something from a different perspective.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Expanding high speed rail in North America probably makes sense in some areas, but economics will dictate the development. It has to cost the consumer less than driving.
I worry about that, actually. I don't see the government cutting through the bureaucratic tape anytime soon, and a venture like this is too large both in cost and scale for any private company to want to risk right now.

Also, more so than cost, I think convenience is a MAJOR factor. If you want to take a page out of LA's public transportation book: Public transportation in LA costs less than driving (and possibly less than public transportation in San Francisco), but nobody -- relatively speaking -- uses it. Why? The bus schedules and routes are erratic, the locations that can be reached are limited, and more than likely, you either need drive or walk a great distance just to get to a station.

Even if this high speed rail/maglev train system goes into place, and it is significantly cheaper than driving or flying, it might not see use. It must be implemented properly and in a way that is convenient, otherwise, it will be a major waste of time and resources.