View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
JoJotheTireMan
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubie View Post
2 Cylinder mod:
I keep coming back to your 2 cylinder mod idea, I like the idea of a 1L in fact. I just wish that a 1L would actually do a good job of moving a Jetta (I know even my 1.7L Rabbit felt all too peppy, a 1L would do it good I think). I would like to remove 2 rods and pistons and grind off the cam on those two cylinders to keep the valves shut, but I don't know how you could balance the Crank at that point. You would need to fake out the engine management, unplug the injectors and ground out those two spark plugs, but it could be done I think.

If you were headed that route already, it is possible a short crank and a 1.8L block could get you in the 1.2-1.4L range. I would love to see that actually, but in reality I wish I could source the stuff from Euro OEM, I am sure they have smaller engines in their line-up over there. In fact I wish the Polo would come out already over here.
A NA 1L I am not sure would have the power to move the Jetta, as these years are a bit heavier than the older ones.
Indeed, crank balancing would become an issue, that is why I was trying to come up with a way not only to deactivate the cylinders, but to put them to work some other way to help the remaining 2 a little.
Couple of resistors to fake the computer into thinking it is firing 4 injectors instead of just 2, instead of leaving the connectors off as I'm pretty sure this would cause a CEL.
I would just yank 2 wires from the distributor cap, and remove 2 of the 4 pickup lugs from inside the distributor, no need to fire those extra 2 anyways, right?
Another thought is to just remove the hydraulic cam followers and see if the cam will clear the top of the valve stem, but the alternative would be to bust out the grinder and show the cam some love.

Indeed, a VW polo would be sweet. They run a 3 banger 1.3L I think, maybe 1.4L with factory head studs, meaning it is much smaller but could probably handle higher boost levels and/or compression ratios too.
The euro stuff I would love to see are the super small, super efficient, clean running TDIs.

What would the effective mpg be on a 1.4L TDI with a WVO kit in the trunk? Audi's A2 is rated at 74mpg I believe running solely on diesel in the main tank. Use your imagination here as I'm sure you would be well over 100mpg with a long enough commute to warm the oil and switch over to the WVO for the majority of the commute.

Even the US 1.9L TDI would work well for me this way as my whole highway portion could be replaced with free fuel both ways as my ride to the highway is long enough to warm the WVO up.

Your a bargain VW shopper, let me know if you run across any A3 Jetta TDIs in a 5 speed for under a grand. Now that gas prices have gone up people are selling them for double the book value around here, and that is with 300K on them already and they want 5Gs and up! It is crazy.
Now, find me one for a few hundred bucks and I'm all over it, till then I try to keep squeezing my 2.0Ls as much as I can within reason. JoJo