View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #43 (permalink)
nubie
MAD Modder

I know what you mean about the TDi's , they are so worth it though.

I found a place on the net that would rebuild an injection pump for $300 (I might have that wrong), and people will literally give you a diesel Rabbit. (try craigslist or keep an eye out for a parked bunny)

I would almost try a re-built injection pump and add a simple turbo to an older VW Diesel. Just any old turbo with good seals and a vw log manifold ground off and a plate welded to it.

I am a regular mechanic, not VW trained (I didn't look into it when I started school, I didn't know it was an option, the school only offered Toyota, Honda, and GM programs, I wish VW would get a good training program in place) no Diesel training either, and now I am looking for work in the PC repair field.

Mirrors:
I thought that the mirrors did make a big difference? I could be wrong. Couldn't hurt to try it though, could it? Now that I think of it shaved door handles might help too. I wonder if it might be possible to make your own "salt flats racer" wheel covers? Probably would need to add a brake duct if you did that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automob...g_coefficients
This site points out that a 1990 Honda CRX is one of the most aerodynamic cars, it might be worth looking for one cheap (if you can source engines for under $200). This chart shows the Cd already computed against the frontal area:

2.50 1986 Twike [3]
3.95 1996 GM EV1
5.10 1999 Honda Insight
5.71 1990 Honda CR-X Si
5.76 1968 Toyota 2000GT

Although the Jetta doesn't look abysmal
http://www.mayfco.com/tbls.htm:
6.94 Jetta III
6.96 Jetta III GLX

It looks like you are already on the way with a lot of good info and knowledge, I want a Voltsrabbit, but the batteries are way to expensive to even consider it, even as an auxiliary back axle type thing for the drive-thru or stop and go traffic.