View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Highjumphero
EcoModding Lurker

Satillac - '92 Saturn SL1
90 day: 39.48 mpg (US)

K1500 - '97 Chevrolet K1500
Although it is yet too early to tell for sure, I think I have solved my problem. Ever since I have got my mpguino its readings were all over the place. It said I got better mileage when the car was cold, the mileage did not decrease when the engine was under load, and even though I calibrated it often it never matched my actual mileage. I thought that the mpgiuno just did not work with my car. For the last 6 months or so I have noticed my actual mileage was getting worse, it has dropped from 40+ mpg down to 27, but the mpgiuno without calibration was still reading in the upper 30s. This again led me to believe the Mpguino was not compatible with my car.
I have created a thread for my lost mileage also, http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...omy-19870.html
I think I have solved both problems with one fix, Replacing the fuel filter. With only 60 miles after the change I appear to be getting better mileage, but I cannot verify that. Today on my way into work I noticed that my Mpguino actually responded to engine load. Also I turned off the rear defrost and heater fan, my instant mpg increased!

This is my hypothesis. I am mechanically minded, but I am not an auto mechanic so bear with me here! First I had to realize fuel injectors do not forcefully inject fuel into the engine, they are a plunger valve that opens and releases fuel pressurized by the pump. In turn low fuel pressure from the clogged filter caused a bad spray pattern from my injector. The poorly atomized fuel did not burn as completely, and the O2 sensor detects unburned oxygen. This then prompts for more poorly atomized fuel on the next cycle.

What do you think, am I missing anything here?