View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Highjumphero
EcoModding Lurker

Satillac - '92 Saturn SL1
90 day: 39.48 mpg (US)

K1500 - '97 Chevrolet K1500
I think the fuel filter could be the culprit! I don't have any solid evidence yet, but my mileage seems to be improving. Also I installed a Mpguino in the spring and it never seemed to work right, mainly the actual mileage and the readout were never close after many calibrations, and also the "current mileage" did not change (sometimes got better) under engine load like going up a hill, or driving at higher speeds. Well today I noticed it was responding to engine load.

Again only the pump will tell if my mileage is improving, but I have wondered how a clogged fuel filter could reduce your mileage, It seems counter intuitive.

This is my hypothesis. I am mechanically minded, but I am not an auto mechanic so bear with me here! First I had to realize fuel injectors do not forcefully inject fuel into the engine, they are a plunger valve that opens and releases fuel pressurized by the pump. In turn low fuel pressure from the clogged filter caused a bad spray pattern from my injector. The poorly atomized fuel did not burn as completely, and the O2 sensor detects unburned oxygen. This then prompts for more poorly atomized fuel on the next cycle.

What do you think, am I missing anything here?