View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Green Myst
EcoModding Lurker

Enduro Enclosure Project- An Ecomod with Ground Clearance

Hi Everyone. I'm in the process of modding my green 2008 Kawasaki KLR650 for Adventure Touring. I'm adding storage and want to at least partially enclose my ride for improved efficiency, privacy for my cargo and myself, weather and abrasion protection. I figured I might as well put the extra panels in an efficient configuration and improve upon my ~55 MPG stock.

My bike is an Enduro, AKA Duo-Sport or Dual-Sport. It's like a street-legal dirtbike that's heavier and fast enough for the highway due to a larger displacement engine. For off-road adventures, I want to keep my current ground clearance. To get to those adventures, I want to go further from and between gas stations, with crosswind stability. I wouldn't mind low-hanging panels on blacktop if I can raise them up when the pavement runs out. I don't expect as good mileage off-road anyway.

After 20 years of KLRs, 2008 began a new style with a much bigger fairing, among other changes. It has a rather high seat and an upright riding position. IIRC, my eyes are higher than car drivers, so while less visible than I car, I'll be more visible than those low-slung pods you never see around. In cruising mode, I have highway pegs and am modding my seat to be lower and tilted back for a Feet-Forward posture. The seat will still be higher than a cruiser, so the higher CoG provides maneuverability. The heavier engine that's low and forward provides stability. I know keeping my increased cargo capacity as low and forward as possible is important for stability, but I anticipate tradeoffs for easier load-balancing of a larger topcase and smaller panniers.

I'll post design and other project images. This being the 2-wheeled forum, I'm sure you understand occasional compromises in favor of driver comfort, storage etc. I'm excited to breech the topic of Ecomodding a vehicle that can forge the occasional stream and cross the random gully when the whim hits.

Besides designing for a range of enclosure depending upon desert weather, I'm also interested in driving habits and fuel mods like Hydrogen augmentation, GEET by Paul and David Pantone, and the Gadgetman Groove. I've got some coroplast scraps comin' in soon, as well as some mail-order farkles, so Winter time is modding season.

I love being Green- now I want to Ecomod the perfect vehicle to hack, go on and off the beaten path, get deep into nature, and get camping. Who's down?

Last edited by Green Myst; 01-05-2012 at 12:17 PM..