View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Green Myst
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks! I've read much on ecomodder about Craig Vetter when I was lurking around, but I saw mostly work like the 1983 Rifle Streamliner and some of the Rifle. I knew his recumbent stuff, but not his dual-sport fairings like Alcan, and Mystery Ship. I'm enjoying seeing under the fairings in the photos of the Last Fairing, 1981 Streamliner High Mileage bike, the dual-sport pictured next to the Rifle enclosure on a trailer, and all those great historical images and stories. It's quite a rich and fun site.

In Chapter 36:

"
My Motorcycle Design Dilemma
It is generally believed that a KLR is pretty good for all-round riding. It does everything. But my Streamlined Helix has become my first choice in machines to actually ride. Really, I would rather take it anywhere... to the grocery store.. to Big Sur... to Alaska. It has built-in storage way beyond any motorcycle. I just throw stuff into the enormous space its streamlining naturally provides. No saddlebags flapping in the wind.
The streamlined Helix "Freedom Machine" is more comfortable. It is much easier to get on and off. The seat pad is huge! My bottom never hurts. The ride at 70 mph is quiet. I do not need ear plugs. It has enough power. My son, Zak said the KLR topped out at 86 mph into the 34 mph headwinds. My streamlined Helix would go 78 mph into those winds. Isn't that fast enough?

I don't think we can really streamline a standard bike like a KLR - or a CRF for that matter. The seats are too high on standard motorcycles. For streamlining, lower is better because it reduces frontal area. Reduced frontal area means less drag. Reduced frontal area means less side area for the winds to push on. In the movie above, you can see that Alan blew around more than me. He is higher because his seat is higher.
"

There you have it. With a KLR I might consider something like an Alcan front with a teardrop tail. Hmmm- I thought I'd put a giant box back and panniers there. Secure storage is still important, so I might have to fab something light but rigid. The teardrop tail is definitely the most key thing I've learned this year. Thanks again!

Last edited by Green Myst; 01-05-2012 at 12:18 PM..