View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ragnarok Warrior
Yggdrasil's Shadow

The Broken - '93 VW Golf GL
I was in school (Automotive Tech) just before this car came out. We had a substitute for a week and he happened to be a master tech at the GM dealer across the road. When the GM reps brought the Volt to the dealership so the techs could see what they'd be working on soon, our sub decided to have it brough over to our tech college. I got a chance to drive the Volt around the parking lot for a bit (April 2011). I would not buy one out of personal preference, being that I hunt, fish, camp, buy/sell motorcycles all the time and it does not make sense for me to own 2 vehicles. However, unlike a Prius (which I hate, for other personal reasons) I love the Volt and think that at the very least it is a step forward for the US auto industry (unless it gets shot down).

Secondly, when I graduated last May, I went to work at a dealership that sold Fiats. Since all the mechanics thought they sucked, and I love the 500, I am now only one of 3 trained Fiat techs in the state. Except for a few computer flashes and a couple of sideskirts not sticking correctly, I have not had to do any major work on a 500. The sport in a manual is a fun little car and most of the ones that come in get between 35 and 40 mpg on our crappy American gas. I'm 5'11 and 280 lbs and have plenty of room to drive.