View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Green Myst
EcoModding Lurker

Craig and Zak Vetter plan a Alcan Fairing and Streamliner Tail combo, as does Jack Greenman for his Suzuki. I don't know about using a kit for this, but I would be interested in the patterns and modding the tail design with the option of taking up less space in the rear for parking. I'm considering a tail design where the very back can be retracted into the tail portion that's above the wheel.

I'm also planning on linking the fairing and the tail with something like clear marine windshield plastic, stretchy fabric, perhaps coroplast, or a combination thereof.

I plan to combine a custom lowered and reclining seat, handlebar risers that put the controls farther back, and highway pegs for a more recumbent than upright riding position, which will also lower my the height of my helmet. I will incorporate my legs on highway pegs and beyond into the width of the fairing. I also hope to fabricate the tail around a large topcase and 1' worth (that's two 6" wide cases) of pannier width (plus the sideracks). This is for lockable luggage space that is as forward and low as possible with the design.

So, it's not really a kit project for the Alcan Fairing and Streamliner Tail, since I'll be modding them around my legs, cases, etc. In my case, it would be awesome to have some patterns to scale. I have an opaque projector that I could use to scale up standard computer printed patterns up to full size. I'd adhere some paper or sheetmetal to a wall, project and trace the pattern, transfer it if need be, cut, bend, possibly pop rivet, bolt on, photograph, and share here.