View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Shepherd777
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
I would think that you would want to separate the air that is escaping from the radiator to the outside world, from the air that going twice the surface speed of the road at the top of the tire! Picture 2 really brings this home.

If your going to vent radiator air at this particular location, then a baffle between the vented air and the top of the tire would be very beneficial.

Without that, you will have one heck of a parasitic load from all the air churning about in that location.

Jim.
Thanks Jim, but I'm not sure if I agree with your postulate. The air at the top of the tire is going forward, not towards the rear. Only the area of the tire that is below the axle goes rearward, correct? We will have a small wheel-well over the tire to hopefully mitigate the effect you are describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Dr.Alberto Morelli's work in the Pininfarina wind tunnel for the CNR 'banana car',beginning in 1976,probably owns the distinction of the most efficient extractor vent technology I've seen published.

If you can snag a July 11,2011 copy of AUTOWEEK,on page 16,there's a small mention of the Iveco 'Glider' tractor-truck with radiator-less flat heat exchangers integrated into the side pods.
Iveco is skipping the cooling system drag altogether.
Thanks for the references aerohead. I have never seen that banana car. Very cool.

I checked out the Iveco. The major problem here is it is a euro truck. So they are limited to the square cabover platform due to length limits. So a euro aero cabover is like being the best ice hockey player in Ecuador, in my opinion.

By the way, my last aero rig was featured in Autoweek Magazine in 1984. I still have the article. It was printed on news-print way back then and was not the high-gloss automotive magazine it is now.

The new Camaro ZL1, which is on my wish list by the way, expells underhood heat differently. Similar to a Ford GT40.

I was thinking about doing a similar underhood air hood vent on this truck, for about 30 seconds or so. Then, while visualizing the flow, I was reminded of the urinate-poor OEM windshield angle of 65 degrees, and summarily dismissed the notion. I thought about an "A" pillar emergency surgery relocation for about 10 seconds, and dismissed that as well. But just wait for the next truck, which will be entirely built from scratch. Assuming we can get several wheel-barrels full of large note $$$$$$$ from investors and or sponsors.

Last edited by Shepherd777; 01-05-2012 at 09:56 PM..