View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

These are all great memories, you can kind of smell the leather, or if you were poor like us, the plastic seats warmed to bare legs scolding hotness by the mild afternoon sun Keep them coming.

I'd like to add another couple - going on holiday every year in Scotland with my parents in one of these :

Even the colour is the same. I think my hypermiling started because my dad would moan about how much fuel the thing used - 32 MPG! (imp).

I used to sleep in one of the bunk beds just below the extending roof. Because Scotland is so far north in summer it doesn't quite go fully dark so I was always amazed by the fact that I could poke my head out the top and look around at midnight or the early hours.

And one other, my dad had one of these as his first ever "new" car - the car still exists and is still owned by the guy he sold it to in 1978

The VW "bug" / "beetle" enthusiasts may note that this is a 1200, so it has a 6-volt electrical system, a puny engine, low gearing and the older suspension. At the time you could have a 1300

which came with modern suspension, 12-volt electrics, longer gearing etc.

My dad chose the 1200 so he could have a radio