View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
3dplane
EcoModding Apprentice

14 Mirage - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 68.74 mpg (US)
I saved 3.6 amps on my parking lights by going all led.
I did not do a "how to" on the process because it is a bit on the redneck side the way I did it but so far works flawless and I can put it back to original in a few minutes if I ever had to.
Before when I turned on the parking lights it had a 5.3 amp draw. Now it is 1.7 amps. An additional amp can be saved if I dim the interior illumination (cluster,a/c control head and a few switches).From full bright to full dim exactly one amp difference almost to the milliamp.

Nice to sit at a long red traffic light at dusk only pulling 800 milliamps with the exterior lit up.
The headlight on my car pulls 7.5 amps with the engine off and I'm looking into doing something about them.

2 taglights,2 rear side markers,2 tail lights,2 front corner lights are the main savings (3.6 amps) additionally I did my brake lights(all 3),dome light,trunk light but they are not on very often.

For your case where YOU need to see with them I would look into a DC to DC converter to keep your car battery voltage up and you could supply power to it with your custom lithium pack that you would charge later.

For my case the only part bothers me is sitting at redlights with engine off having to keep the headlights on when I really don't need to see with them (until I get out of town) so they are just sucking my battery for nothing. I will just put some diffused white low power leds in there to make people think I have a headlight on so I can keep the real headlight off until needed.

BTW I recommend you look at the smaller a123 cells on ebay! ($ / A/h cheaper than what you mentioned) 1-1.1 A/h rated 18650 cells. 30C continuous rated,I believe 60C burst. I have quite a few of them for projects/testing and testing 2 random cells shorted I got 137amps out of one and 128amps out of the other!!! (just long enough to get a reading.about one second)
I built a "micro" jump box out of 12 cells (4s 3p). Smaller than 3 packs of cigarettes and it will start a car!

Just some thoughts!
Barna