View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
TedV
EcoModding Lurker

How hot of engine temp is too hot for an air cooled motor? I seem to remember VW beetles didn't like to be over 365 deg F. Watching the engine temps of the CB250 climing the hills of TN in the heat of summer would send temps over 360 shown on a Trailtech vapor with sparkplug thermocouple washer. I noticed the power dropping off quickly. Aircooled makes it more challenging to get the heat out of the motor once fairings go on. The 5 speed hurt highway speed. I notice the CB125 has a 4 speed. Charlies bike that beat the diesels has water cooling and a 6 speed.

I rode the Dakar in temps upwards of 103 Deg F this past summer. I would soak my gear with water every 150 mile fuel stop. I would drink 1.5 liters of water between fuel stops from my camelbak. I was still misserable and it caused me to twist the throttle beyond posted highway speeds to get the day over with. I had a tight schedule to keep. Choice was give up or go faster. Fuel economy dropped from 74 to closer to 55. I spoke to Craig about the Alcan fairing and concidered getting it. But, it would take away from the off road capability and make it even more hot to ride. A cool suit system might solve the heat riding issue. The range of environment I have to deal with in TN has stalled my building of any bike based solution.

Craig would like the solution to be the first choice in the garage. All things concidered, freezing, cold rain, heat of summer, being socially presentable at the destination, my first choice is my 98 Jetta TDi getting 48mpg in perfect comfort. It does nothing supurb, but does everything well. I would love to get closer to 100mpg, but I also need it useable for everything day to day without hassle. When will VW offer the XL1 for sale?