View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
93civicvx
EcoModding Lurker

93civicvx - '93 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 52.33 mpg (US)
'93 VX 2011 Annual results

Here's the tally for my '93 VX :

I bought it & started driving it the last week of Dec 2010 and have captured EVERY tank of gas since !

This timeframe covers from when it was only getting 35 mpg ( Running on a bad O2 ) which you WON'T see in my fuel log which would have dropped my "Lifetime" mpg a bit as it was for a month or two..., then 45 mpg ( O2 unplugged - a few month's ) & then my 50 mpg remainder avg...

That being said, 2012 should yield a higher avg mpg now that the kinks are worked out.

Lifetime Fuel Economy: 48.2 ( 12 months )
90-day Fuel Economy: 52.33 ( has dropped as of lately due to driving habits & much colder temps & winter blend fuel ?? )
My garage will show Strong 50's+ mpg for the 2nd half of 2011 & a downward taper in Nov/Dec... ).

Now, the behind the scenes results : VX vs 1991 5.0 Mustang !!
Driving the VX the instead of my 5.0 ( I set up a spreadsheet to capture/calculate/total etc etc data for :

GAS PURCHASE DATE
PRICE PER GAL
GALS PUMPED
Total $ COST
MILES DRIVEN
MPG ( old school math method - trip meter miles/gals pumped )
STATION LOCATION
PUMP # ( I used the same pump for the past 17 tanks and will continue to do so )

Then the spreadsheet calculates what it would have cost me to drive said amount of miles in the 5.0...

Survey says : I SAVED $1645.73 in gas and consumed about 500 LESS gals of fuel !!!

My "Mod's" :
K&N air filter
Tires inflated to 50 psi ( checked every Sunday )
MPGuino ( Worth it's weight in gold as it teaches you how to ecomod !! )
PCV oil "catch can"

The PCV "catch can" still yields about a square inch of crud every 30 days...

Anyway, hope this was somewhat entertaining !!

Douglas