View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #153 (permalink)
drmiller100
Master EcoModder

I have a 99 ford superduty with the 7.3 turbo diesel.

I've run a Jody Tipton (DP Tuner) chip for over 150,000 miles on it. I can switch between 4 tunes - Stock, 40 horse, 80 horse, and 120.

It is a documented fact by myself and MANY others the 40 horse gets better then 10 percent better mileage in basically all conditions over stock. Sometimes it is as much as 15 percent.

Further, under light loads at highway speeds the 80 horse tune gets an additional 5 percent.
In no conditions does anyone see better then 20 percent improvement, but 15 is pretty common.

Jody and others believe the additional mileage is because he is injecting the fuel at higher pressures for better atomization, and is injecting it sooner for advanced ignition timing.

I suspect the propane is doing the same thing - it is causing the ignition event to happen faster for more efficiency.

Under NO circumstance should you EVER run DP Tuner tunes with propane without discussing it with Jody.

My point is I think you could buy the 40 horse tune from Jody for a couple of hundred dollars and have all the benefits of propane with none of the hassles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drmiller100 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-12-2012), orbywan (01-08-2012)