View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Everett
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Used Rotella for about 22,000 miles on a FZ1, 34,000 on a zg1000 + less miles on several other bikes, but I don't think a synthetic will hurt a healthy clutch either.

I'm voting #2.
A diesel hdeo or any JASO spec'd motorcycle oil will have a very very small amount of friction modifiers and will not harm a wet clutch. To the poster above who mentioned not using a diesel oil in a gas bike should perhaps read the back of the diesel oil container. Almost every diesel oil I have seen meets the JASO spec for wet clutches. Spend more money of you want on badged motorcycle oil but a fool and his money are soon parted.
Synthetic oil has nothing to do with clutch slip. Friction modifiers do. Oils marked Xw-40 will have very limited amounts of fm's. They tend to rely on zddp as an anti wear agent. Oils marked Xw-30 and thinner will almost always use moly as a fm and that stuff MAY cause slippage.
Rotella t-6 has no moly it it. It's a 5w-40 and has shown amazing wear numbers in various different bikes in used oil analysis at bob is the oil guy and is likely one of the best oils you can put into a shared sump bike. And its very cost effective.
For you guys who think you need to pay those high prices for motorcycle oil you really don't. Most heavy duty engine oils and diesel oils meet the same specs the bike specific oils do. So don't feel like you have to spend the big bucks.
Now for viscosity. If your bike states it needs a 10w-40 then a 5w-40 will work fine. The first number followed by the w means that how the oil behaves in winter. Hence the w,it stands for winter. The second number represents the oils viscosity at 100 degrees celcius. Operating temp. So as kind as the oil has the second number 40 you can use it with confidence in your bike.
And honestly guys don't believe all the hype about oil. Synthetic lasts longer and resists high heat better than conventional but any conventional will work fine as long as its changed regular.
If you have a Harley you can use oils with friction modifiers because the engine oil is separate from the clutch and tranny. In spring and fall I use a 5w-50 in my Harley and summer is 20w-50.
My Honda 750 gets 0w-40 for spring and fall and then rotella t-6 for summer.
Good rule of thumb for bikes is as soon as the oil is black change it. Oil is cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Everett For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (01-08-2012)