View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #105 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

I like the pics, thanks for posting them!

I agree that the ride will be pretty "exciting" when the car corners very hard at all. The front wheels will, as mentioned already, stay relatively perpendicular to the road when the body leans. That should keep them hooked up nicely. The rear will go into positive camber, which will reduce its grip.

The solution, at least in this case, is probably to make sure you never have to drive near the limits of adhesion. That can be difficult to ensure, though.

A motorcycle tire for the rear would be counter-productive, as an MC leans the opposite way in a corner that a car leans.

If you went to a pure trailing-arm front suspension (like the Beetle had), the front wheels would always lean with the car, so they would go into positive camber at the same rate as the rear tire. I'm not sure how you can accommodate the Civic drive axles if you swap to a trailing-arm suspension, though. And custom suspension fab is a pretty non-trivial thing.

Hmm... How could you make a rear wheel that tilts the "wrong" way, like the fronts do? At least you'd only be fabricating on one end of the car....

-soD