View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #107 (permalink)
ProDarwin
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
I invite you to research friction characteristics of radial tires given imperfect camber. I invite you to research the effects of caster on camber in corners. I invite you to learn what the friction circle is for a car. I invite you to learn about understeer and oversteer, and which a decent driver prefers. I invite you to learn about roll centers, center of gravity and the interaction of the two.
Caster has nothing to do with your rear suspension.
Imperfect camber is working against you.
The rear roll center and CG are working against you.

I'm sure there are ways around the handling issues associated with almost zero rear roll resistance. Massive front spring rate? Massive front bar? After all, look at the T-rex 14R. Then again:

Car and Driver tested the Can-Am Spyder on the skidpad...

Quote:
Speaking of cornering, we ran the spyder around the skidpad, and despite the harrowing thrill, it pulled just 0.65 g. Part of the reason is that the stability control is always on, but the low number also seems to be the limit of the three-wheel arrangement
I just fiddled with my suspension spreadsheet and set the rear-track to 0. Some funny things happen when you do this.

From an efficiency standpoint, I think this car will be impressive. From a handling standpoint it looks downright scary.

Last edited by ProDarwin; 01-09-2012 at 08:16 PM..