View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
When alone, weather permitting I ride one of my bikes, probably like you Brian. The decision to build it side by side was based on the template for optimal aerodynamics as well as a Wife who wants to ride shotgun.
Another consideration is the center of mass being positioned close to equally between the three wheels.
In any collision the longer more narrow tandem configuration would be subjected to increased forces in a side impact when the vehicle is longer.
While it may not be the best choice of some, I believe it is the best choice for me. It also allows the utilization of the complete front suspension assembly from an early air cooled VW bug, something which makes sense economically. I also want a setup that will spin instead of flip in a severe emergency maneuver.
Another point in favor of the overall length of just 12.5 feet is the ability to park virtually anywhere. My intention is for this to be may daily driver.
I also don't care for the open front wheel configuration where a slight impact might result in severe front suspension damage and potential loss of steering control.

Believe me I seriously considered both configurations, but the real deciding factor is, will my wife actually be willing to ride in this thing!

If the MPG works out to be better than my CBR250R, then I might just sell off all the bikes and my Maxima and we can use her Sorento when necessary.

regards
Mech