View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
What's the point of asking questions to determine if one is following a possible solution, if the response is go source books on the subject?
And who is to say the books are free of errors...

My question was based on the possibility that less restriction on the air intake will help the engine breathe freely, and with air more easily available to pump in, should require less time in higher RPMs to get to the desired speed. This combined with driving techniques, I thought might reduce fuel consumption.

The exhaust has a similar line of thinking, if the exhaust can be more freely flowing, perhaps it requires less energy lost in pistons forcing air out of the cylinder, as the back pressure is reduced. But I was reading somewhere that Lean Burn engines rely on exhaust back pressure. I can't recall where.

So I figured who better to ask then here! Many exhaust websites claim improved fuel economy is possible with aftermarket exhausts. I've got no problem with stock or aftermarket, was merely contemplating possible mods and hoping for feedback...

The resonator's purpose is noise reduction. How does removing that, reduce fuel economy? It'll remove a restriction on air intake - isn't that a good thing for fuel economy?