View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
I think the others took "Lean Burn" to mean "Honda Civic".

"Ass U Me" is a good description.

The questions relate to the Pulsar, which is a Nissan, which uses the QG18DE engine. See this Wikipedia link on it: Nissan QG engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting from Wikipedia are:
HO2S - (4) Oxygen Sensors (2 before exhaust catalyst, 2 after) - note a series 2 1.8l has only 2 o2 sensors 1 pre and 1 post
TWC - Three Way Catalyst (2 in exhaust manifold, 1 under car)
Ignition Timing: 9 degrees BTDC (can be altered +/- 2 degrees using CONSULT-II handheld diagnostic tester, e.g. blaZt)
Knock Sensor - located on engine block; retards timing if pinging/detonation detected.
Heated Throttle Body - heated by engine coolant

I think mine has 2 O2 Sensors.
TWC - why not just one cat converter? More restriction ?
I have the ability to change Ignition Timing +/- 2 - which way is better for fuel economy?

Heated Throttle Body - isn't that the same as a WAI ? - since the air has to pass through it, and Coolant heating the TB would make the mixture heat ?

Now, some feedback to the responses (oh, and yes, it's the very reason that ecomodder is a non product oriented, non biased site, that I posed the question to the talented bunch here.. I do want better FE numbers, and results are results).

The resonator doesn't hold air - Resonator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's a sound tool on the intake to reduce intake sound - that's what I took it to mean.

Now, I want to be using the very lowest air fuel mixture possible at the point the car spends the longest - neutral (coasting). When it's accellerating, it's at 2000 RPM tops before changing up (see, I do read and search - in fact, out of 70 posts, I've probably read many hundreds on here since joining looking for anything I can adapt with).

The exhaust was posed as a question for much the reason in the responses... the retail sites claim better performance and fuel economy, I wanted to see the response here.

Isn't more air a good thing (look at it this way: The faster the engine can get up to the desired speed, the more time it will spend idling).

I don't want to risk the battery etc, so I don't want to do Engine Off Coasting - yeh, I realise others do it, but the responses I saw said charging the battery.

I've looked through the mods list, I want more power low down, but don't know how a smaller intake will help that..? The science behind it needs to be explained. Google to the rescue maybe.. ?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage....&vehicleid=643
Resonators removed out of intake with K&N drop-in air filter.
- Shame he didn't put any FE numbers in.

Last edited by toc; 01-11-2012 at 01:57 AM..