View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
muffildy
EcoModding Lurker

taxes

Their website is very confusing instead of just putting all the the facts at a glance they spread it out everyplace...
So, i assume my rate schedule would be Cogeneration, as available purchase:
https://www.progress-energy.com/asse...savailable.pdf
Which seems to indicate that big monthly minimum fee at the bottom...maybe im not interpreting their rules correctly though? i wish they would just put it all in a straightforward FAQ for solar home generation...

So my current power bills minimum monthly fee is the non-interconnect version and a bit less than 10$.
So, im actually paying 90$ average a month for electricity.
I would need a solar system capable of about 700kwh/month.
So at a minimum i would need a 6000w system.
typical cost for an off-grid system is 4$/w, so cost 24,000$ monthly taking 20 years to pay off...

The cost of an electric car is out of the question for a production vehicle, the only way they are cost effective is a DIY project costing 14000$ or so which would pay for itself in 10 years at current gas prices for me.

*edit addition*
there is a 30% federal tax credit for solar installions, but im not entirely sure how it works.
First time homebuyers were sent a check; i got sent 8000$ for example...
Lets say i spend 24000$, 30% of that is 7200$ - would the gov be sending me a check in that amount? Or is this credit just a reduction in what i owe to the goverment?
If its a reduction in what i owe, what if what i owe/year is small? i typically owe 0$ a year (in fact most years they pay me). So would there by any benefit from the program in this case?

Last edited by muffildy; 01-11-2012 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: query