View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Green Myst
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
How low can you reasonably go with the KLR seat and have good control off road?
I've gone 140 miles in a day before seat modification, and my pre-ecomod range is over 200 miles without external fuel containers. Through mods, I hope to increase my range in both man and machine so I will be comfortable enough to safely and enjoyably control my bike as far as its extended mileage and fuel supply will allow. One factor will definitely include lowering my resistance to air currents.

I'm extremely interested in crafting the skin of the tail section out of IFR stretch fabric. I want to be able to extend my telescoping aluminum tubing aftwards to tighten up the tail fabric, so there is very little deflection left in the material for the wind to significantly alter its shape.

I realize a lot of my protection from rain will come from the front. If riding in rain, I might also want to cover above me with clear marine vinyl, but I wouldn't enclose the sides while riding, as pointed out by low&slow. The enclosure around the seat functions merely as a bike cover when parked, so it won't affect road handling.

I got my scrap Coroplast and my Clymer maintenance manual yesterday! Thanks for your tips, comments and interest!
The Following User Says Thank You to Green Myst For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (03-26-2012)